International Student Policy

At the Robinson Center, our mission is to admit and support motivated, highly-capable students seeking early entrance to the UW, and we welcome applications from international students who fit this profile. But because of the unique nature of the early entrance programs housed in the Robinson Center, only students with particular types of international visas will qualify to apply. Since our students enter the university in a non-traditional way, we are, in some cases, restricted by law and are unable to admit students who are supported by particular visa types. Please consult the following criteria to determine if you are qualified to apply.

International Student Eligibility

• Students who require F-1 or J-1 student visas are not eligible to apply for Robinson Center programs. These student visas require an 1-20 or DS-2019 form, which cannot be issued unless the student has successfully completed their College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs). Since EEP and the UW Academy only admit students who haven’t completed their CADRs, students seeking F-1 or J-1 visas cannot apply.

• Students who are in the country on an F-2 visa are not eligible to apply for Robinson Center Programs. Those with an F-2 visa may only engage in full-time elementary or secondary school study. Students with this visa are ineligible for university study and cannot apply.

• Students who are eligible for college application under the auspices of their parents’ visas or whose visa eligibility is not dependent on their independent students status (including, but not limited to J2, H4, TD, L2, and E2 visas) are eligible for as long as the visa remains valid.

If you do not see your visa type represented here or have a question about whether your specific visa makes you eligible, please contact us at

International students who qualify and apply will be considered for admission in our regular application pool. There is no separate admission process for international students.

Back to top

English Proficiency

All international students applying to Robinson Center programs must submit English proficiency test scores in order to be considered for admission. Exams must be taken prior to applying and with enough time for the scores to be reported to our admission office. Official TOEFL or IELTS scores must be sent directly to the UW from the testing agency.

For full consideration, applicants should demonstrate a high level of English proficiency and have test scores that exempt them from enrolling in the UW’s Academic English Program (92 TOEFL iBT, 580 paper-based TOEFL, or 7.0 IELTS). Students with test scores that fall below these levels are required by the University to enroll in remedial English instruction classes, and will not be considered as competitive for early college entrance.

• Previous ESL coursework or English composition courses, even when taken in the United States, will not satisfy the English proficiency admission requirement.

• International students currently enrolled in U.S. or Canadian schools must also submit official TOEFL or IELTS exam scores.

• Applicants who have not met the minimum English proficiency requirement by the application deadline or who have not taken one of the English proficiency exams by the deadline will not be considered for admission.

• The Robinson Center does not offer conditional admission to students who have not yet met the minimum English proficiency requirement.

Submitting your Scores:
Plan ahead! All exam scores must be sent directly from the testing agency in order to be considered valid and, in many cases, it may take several weeks for your exam to be processed and reported. Scores must be received by the Robinson Center by the application due date in order for your application to be considered. Please have your TOEFL scores sent to BOTH the UW (school code 4854) AND the Robinson Center (school code B378).

International students whose primary and secondary education took place in Australia, Canada (English-speaking provinces), Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, or the U.S. are exempt from this requirement. Students born in one of these countries yet educated elsewhere are still required to satisfy the English proficiency requirement.

SAT or ACT Scores as an Alternative to English Proficiency:
The Robinson Center will consider the English proficiency requirement satisfied if you have achieved academic success in the past two years of English writing or literature courses where English is the primary language of instruction and you have attained a minimum SAT Critical Reading score of 550 or an ACT English score of 22. If applying to the UW Academy, please have your ACT or SAT scores sent BOTH to the UW school code (4484 for the ACT and 4854 for the SAT) AND the Washington Search for Young Scholars school code (9899 for both the ACT and the SAT) to satisfy the proficiency requirement. If applying to EEP/Transition School, you need only to send your scores to the Washington Search for Young Scholars school code.

Back to top

Important Considerations for International Applicants

Due to the unique nature of both of these early college entrance programs, it is important that applicants consider the following before applying:

The EEP and UW Academy are not residence programs. Applicants from outside of the Seattle area should understand that the Robinson Center provides no supervision or security for their young students beyond what is afforded to all college students. Robinson Center staff is available only during regular business hours and in the physical offices of the RC itself. We do not have dorms specifically for our students, nor do we provide specific resources for students living away from home. Simply put, our programs are designed for students whose families are also located in the Seattle area. In the rare cases where our students do make use of the dorms, they are granted both the unsupervised freedom, independence, and responsibility of standard college freshmen.

Students that are here on a parent or guardian’s work visa are only eligible for application and enrollment as long as your dependent visa remains valid. If the guardian’s visa expires, the student will also be required to return to their home country unless they have completed their CADRs (typically in the first two years of their UW career) and can, therefore, apply for the F-1 visa as an independent international student. The UW and the Robinson Center does not guarantee that students who apply for the F-1 will be granted a visa.

Visa permissions may affect the student experience. While some visas qualify students to apply for admission to the UW through the Robinson Center’s early entrance programs, the specifics of the visa may prohibit students from participating in particular kinds of activities and opportunities that are offered to UW students. For instance, students enrolled under the auspices of a parent’s work visa are often not qualified to work in the U.S. and cannot serve as TAs or participate in any formal work study. They may also face challenges in participating in certain forms of service learning, internships, study abroad, etc.

Non-resident fees may apply. According to House Bill 1487, students holding H1, E3, and L visas may apply for resident status if they have been officially domiciled in Washington State for 12 months or more (for information on applying for residency, see All other international students must pay non-resident tuition at the UW as well as an additional non-resident fee to the Robinson Center for their freshman and sophomore years as UW students.

For more information about this fee, please contact us at

Back to top

Return to the EEP Program Page.
Return to the UW Academy Program Page.

Early Entrance Events

« January 2020 » loading...
Wed 22

UW Academy Visit Day

January 22 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Fri 24

UW Academy Visit Day

January 24 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Wed 29

UW Academy Visit Day

January 29 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm

Early Entrance News

Applications for the 2020-2021 cohort will open Fall 2019.  Learn about the process here, contact with questions.  Stay tuned for date releases for Info Sessions!